Glyncorrwg RFC | 1st Team 48 - 10 Pontrhydyfen RFC | 1st Team
Damian Warlow
Try 1
Liam David Gibbs
Try 1
Jonathan Howells
Try 1
Gareth Lee Goodridge
Try 2
Steffan Hnatiuk
Try 1
Benjamin Evans
Conversion 5
Penalty 1
Try 1

Match Report
18 May 2018 / Team News

SAFE after big win.

We entertained our near neighbors Pontrhydyfen Barbarians in the penultimate game of the season and came away with a big win of 48pts to 10 scoring 7 tries in the process, and keeping us in this division next season. We were soon into our stride and took the lead through a good try by outside half Gareth Goodridge who danced around a couple of defenders to score out wide and Ben Evans converted with a fine kick from the touch line. From the kick off which failed to go 10 yards we elected for a scrum and number 8 Steffan Williams picked up made ground and the ball was transferred along the line to Full back Evans who broke away and scored a try out wide but from the same position as his last kick he again slotted it through the post for a 14 point lead. After this the game settled down and both teams tried to play rugby and there were a couple of moments when both teams threatened to score. Going into the final few minutes of the half Evans had a try ruled out for a foot intouch but this did not stop us from the resulting line out we turned the ball over and from a couple of forward drives we scored another try through hooker Liam Gibbs which Evans again converted.At half time we had a lead of 21pts.

Straight from the kick off we made a hash of a clearance when Jonathan Howells had a kick charged down and Centre Lewis Cronin scored a try under the posts which they failed to convert. But Howells soon made up for his mistake and scored after some good work he crossed out wide but made it in field to make the conversion a lot easier for Evans who duly obliged. Evans then slotted over a penalty to extend our lead. We then had a scrum in the Ponty 22 and the ball shot out first out of the blocks was Goodridge who picked up the ball and raced away to score a unconverted try out wide. After a few rucks and mauls the ball found our captain Damian Warlow who scored out on the left but Evans missed a difficult conversion. Again we attacked and Centre Steffan Hnatiuk beat a couple of dispirited defenders to score close to the posts for Evans to convert for our last points of the game but going into the final seconds we switched off gave away a penalty Ponty went down the line took a quick throwing and wing Cai Evans scored the last points of the game.

A special mention for the referee Mr Colin Kirkhouse of Birchgrove who kept the game flowing and looked to enjoy himself and all the players i spoke to after said that he was the best we have had all season.

Tomorrow we are home to Cefn Cribwr for the final game of the season Kick off is 2-30pm ALL SUPPORT WELCOME. Later in the clubhouse we will have the players presentation please come along and thank the boys for all their efforts this season.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos