Glyncorrwg RFC | 1st Team 15 - 11 Rhigos RFC | 1st Team
Benjamin Evans
Conversion 1
Penalty 1
John Bevan
Try 1
Alun Newell
Try 1

Match Report
03 September 2017 / Team News

Opening day win.

This was the first time we had won a opening day fixture since Sept 1st 2012 when we beat Cefn Cribbwr 58pts to 7. To-days game was a evenly matched affair which went down to the wire. On a lovely day for rugby it was great to see the former Welsh International Dai (The Shadow) Morris supporting his home club Rhigos at Ynyscorrwg Park, i spoke to Dai after the game and he told me how much he enjoyed the game and he was glad to see it was a open game with both teams playing open rugby.

The game kicked off in great conditions and Glyncorrwg made the early runnings and maybe should have taken a early lead. But with some rustyness in the handling they were guilty of dropping a couple of passes. Then Rhigos got a foothold in the game and after some 10 minutes with the Glyncorrwg centre running strong a series of forward rushes saw hooker John Bevan cross for a unconverted try. This did not detere the visitors and the soon hit back with a well struck penalty from full back Brandon Sherwood. With both teams pressing and defences standing strong Glyncorrwg had a great chance to score when right wing Beb Evans was tackled short of the line. Rhigos full back Sherwood then put the visitors in front with a penaltly for offside in front of the posts. We then took the lead again when Ben Evans struck a penalty for a 8pts to 6 advantage. With the half coming to a close Glyncorrwg were denide a penalty try when number 8 Steffan Williams was high tackled short of the line but he did look to have made the line but the only person not to see either was the referee Ian Davies of Pontycymmer who had a very good game.

The second half was very much like the first half with both teams attacking whenever and both defences stood strong but it was the visitors who scored first when they attacked from deep when captain Dillion Dudley was on hand to take the scoring pass and dive over for a try. Both teams were attacking when ever possible and with the game entering the final minutes Rhigos should have extented their lead with a two man over lap they had whiteline fever when he refused to pass and a try saving tackle from sub Steffan Hnatiuk caused a knock on.  Then deep into injury time we threw everything into attack and after the ball was moved both ways and good defending we managed to work fly half Alun Newell over in the corner for a try which Evans converted for a 15pts - 11 lead. But Rhigos came back and forced a lineout close to the line but an infringement led to a home penalty and a home win was ensured. This game would have probely been lost last season but with a couple of new players and a new found confidence maybe the times have changed.

Nex week We visit old foes Bryncethin kick off 2-30pm all support welcome  



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos