Glais RFC | 1st Team 5 - 29 Glyncorrwg RFC | 1st Team
Jonathan Evans
Try 1
Jonathan Howells
1 Try
Steffan Hnatiuk
1 Try
Nigel James
3 Conversion
1 Penalty
Luke Mcdonnell
2 Try

Match Report
01 March 2020 / Team News

Cool hand Luke bags a brace.

After the heavy rain from Storm Jorge the previous day we traveled to Glais RFC and the field was in remarkable condition with only two really wet spots.

In the very strong windy conditions which made the handling of the ball a task we found ourselves behind after 30 seconds of the match. Glais kicked off and our players believed that the ball did not travel the required 10 meters and we switched off but their left wing gathered the ball made some ground he was tackled Glais recycled the ball then made ground to within 5 meters of our line where we stopped them again but they again recycled for their scrum half to cross without a hand put on him.

After this setback Glais had their tails up and they smelt a victory against the top of the table team and threw everything at us and put us under pressure for the first 20 minutes.

Try as the did but our defence held out well and we got back into the game after a few attacks scrum half Jonathan Howells went on one of his trade mark bulldozing runs beat and leaving defenders in his wake and he was stopped for a high tackle some 15 meters out and full back Nigel James kicked the penalty to cut lead to two points.

We were know firing on all cylinders and from a break on half way we moved the ball left through the hands and the ball found left wing Luke (cool hand) McDonnell who raced up the touch line beaten a couple of defenders to run behind the posts for a good try converted by James which put us into the lead which we would not lose.

Going into the final minute of the half we were putting on sustained pressure and fro a scrum in the 22 No 8 Steffan Williams picked up fed scrum half Howells who brushed off a couple of defenders to score just to the right of the posts and again James converted to give us a half time lead of 17pts to 5.

We kicked off the second half and we kept up the pressure on our hosts and after 5 minutes the ball was move left to Cool Hand Luke who crossed for his second try of the match in the corner but with a difficult kick just failed to add the extra points.

Now we was looking for the all important fourth and bonus point try and try as we could with the wind causing problems and a few poor passes with the final ball going to ground or failing to find a supporting player it looked like we would miss out.

To their credit Glais never gave up and caused us a few problems of our own but again with some good defence and the wind also playing havoc they could not find a score.

Going into the final quarter we attacked up the right hand touch line wing Josh Thomas cut inside both home wing and fullback but was just tackled short of the line and lost the ball on the ground, but from another attack the ball was moved around between both forwards and back it found Centre Steffan Hnatiuk who broke a tackle to score our fourth and bonus point try which James converted for the final score which leaves us 18 points clear from Bryncethin at the top of the table.

With the last play of the game Glais put in a final attack and deep into our 22 the ball was turned over and veteran Centre Gareth Kingman broke clear raced some 60 meters up field his legs could not carry him home he put in a kick towards the line the cover defence won the chase and put the ball into touch for the referee to call time.

Our next game will be the Silver Ball Semi Final against Division Two high fliers Maesteg Celtic RFC at the Maesteg RFC ground Llynfi Road on Wednesday 18th March Kick off 7-15pm all support welcome. Then on 21st March we entertain Alltwen at Ynyscorrwg Park kick off will be 2-30pm again All support welcome.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos