Glyncorrwg RFC | 1st Team 27 - 22 Briton Ferry RFC | 1st Team
Rhys Anthony Harris
Try 1
Joshua Thomas
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Try 1
Rhodri Thomas
Try 1
Jonathan Howells
Try 1

Match Report
19 January 2020 / Team News

Ferry make us fight all the way.

A hard fought win over a determined Briton Ferry team moves us 12 points clear of Bryncethin but they have a game in hand on us. On a very cold day but with bright sunshine we kicked off towards the river end of Ynyscorrwg Park. The early exchanges were even but after 8 minutes the Ferry had a line out near our line which they won they attempted to move it away but again we were caught offside, Ferry took a quick tap and found their Centre Itthichai Khammanop who crashed over close to the posts for Chris Jones to convert.

This set back then spurred us on and we began to get some field position and from an attack down the left flank we won a couple of penalties which we ran, one the ball was moved along the ling and we found full back Rhodri Thomas making his first return of the season he went round the final defender and crossed in the corner right on the touchline and wing Josh Thomas put in a fine conversion to tie up the scores.

The game then settled down with no team getting tight on top our scrummage began to get stronger but then disaster struck again when we gave another penalty away close to our line for off side again the Ferry went quick and number 6 Reg Smith crashed over for a try which again Jones converted.

Again we attacked the Ferry line and won a series of scrums and from one close to the try line number 8 Steffan Williams picked up drew the last defender gave a lovely pass to wing Josh Thomas who crossed in the corner and again he struck a fine kick from the touchline to level the scores.

The game then become a stop start affair with some of the opposition going down injured in the pack. With us deep in the Ferry 22  we won a line out drove to the line and scrum half Jonathan Howells had a easy run in to score our third try of the match but Thomas missed the conversion. This left the half time score at 19pts to 14 in our favour.

Before we could start the second half The Ferry then lost their loose head prop with injury and this resulted in passive scrums which took a good weapon away from us. Both teams were playing some good attacking rugby and the young Ferry backs always looked dangerous when they had some space.

From one of our attacks the Ferry defence were guilty of giving away a penalty and wing Thomas increased our lead. At this point we made a couple of changes on was second row Rhys Harris making his first start of the season after a couple of season's out with injury, also Prop Kevin Rhys Jones his first appearance of the season.

Ferry then scored their third try of the match when Smith crossed again for his second but the conversion was missed. We then seemed to pick up our game and from a series of attacks we found ourselves close to the Ferry line and from one ruck Harris picked up the ball and drove through a number of players to score our fourth and bonus point try which Thomas just missed the conversion. This proved to be the last time we would trouble the scoreboard.

From one attack by the Ferry we lost fullback Thomas to a yellow card for a no arms tackle and Jones cut our lead to five points with the resulting penalty kick.

Going into the final couple of minutes and back up to 15 men we put some pressure on the Ferry and maybe we should have scored a try or two but that would have been an injustice to the fine display that our visitors put in if we were to deny them a losing bonus point.

Next weekend we travel to our old friend at Neath Athletic kick off is 2-30pm. This will be our final game because of two Wales games. All support welcome.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos